Stanley J. Berke, M.D. F.A.C.S.
Dr. Berke is a Board Certified Ophthalmologist specializing in Glaucoma treatments as well as Cataract surgery including multifocal lens implantation to reduce the need for reading glasses. A Magna Cum Laude graduate of University of Buffalo School of Medicine, Dr. Berke served as Chief Resident during his final year at Nassau County Medical Center.
- Completed Fellowship at Harvard Medical School in Glaucoma and Cataract Surgery in 1986
- Board Certified in Ophthalmology 1986
- Joined Joel Weintraub, MD in practice in Lynbrook, NY 1986
- Founding Partner of Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island (OCLI)
- Established Berke Eye Care in March 2012, in Garden City, NY
A Magna Cum Laude graduate of the University of Buffalo School of Medicine, Dr. Berke served as Chief Resident during his final year at Nassau County Medical Center. Dr. Berke then completed a Fellowship in Glaucoma and Cataract surgery at Harvard Medical School’s Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Participated as Investigator in numerous Research Studies involving new medications, novel surgical and laser procedures, and surgical devices.
Principal Investigator for 10 year NIH (National Institute of Health, Bethesda MD) Study to compare Medical vs Surgical treatment of Glaucoma called CIGTS (Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment Study): Ranked #1 in USA
Statement From Stanley J. Berke, M.D. F.A.C.S.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS), American Board of Ophthalmology, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Nassau Surgical Society, Nassau Academy of Medicine
- Member, American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery (ASCRS), American Glaucoma Society, New York Glaucoma Society, Chandler-Grant Glaucoma Society, Long Island Ophthalmology Society, New York State
- Ophthalmology Society, Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), Medical Society of the State of New York
DISCOVERIES OF SIGNIFICANT MEDICAL AND SURGICAL IMPACT:
- Discovered etiology of unwanted visual images following Laser Iridotomy and described solution. (Place laser opening away from lid margin).
- Described method of safer and more successful glaucoma surgical procedure (“Tunnel Trabeculectomy”).
- First member of American Glaucoma Society to report on benefits of combined ECP (Endolaser Cyclo Photocoagulation) and modern cataract surgery with lens implant.
- Early adoption of Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) to treat glaucoma.
- Discovered cause of nationwide outbreak of Toxic Anterior Segment Syndrome (TASS), due to contaminated irrigating solution used during cataract surgery, and successfully educated the FDA on the importance of eliminating
any contaminants in eye surgery solutions.
- Discovered cause of side effect of the most commonly used eyedrop to treat glaucoma in the world, called Prostaglandin Associated Periorbitopathy (PAP) and successfully educated the FDA and manufacturers on the importance of including this side effect in the package insert.
RESEARCH & TEACHING:
- Participated as Investigator in numerous Research Studies involving new medications, novel surgical and laser procedures, and surgical devices
- Principal Investigator for 10 year NIH (National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD) Study to compare Medical vs Surgical treatment of Glaucoma called CIGTS (Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment Study): Ranked #1 in USA out of 12 sites
- Voluntary Teaching Staff at North Shore – LIJ Health System and Nassau University Medical Center continuously since 1986
ACADEMIC TITLES AND POSITIONS:
- Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
- Chief, Glaucoma Service, Nassau University Medical Center
- Chair, Quality Assurance Committee, Island Eye Surgicenter
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Physician Recognition Award from the American Medical Association, 1992-present
- Named “Best Doctor” by New York Magazine, Newsday, and Castle-Connelly Guide Click Here To Read
LECTURES & ARTICLES:
- Author of numerous original research articles, book chapters, and invited
lecturer both nationally and internationally.
- Dr. Berke, Dr. Baharestani and Dr. Kajoshaj featured in the LI Herald “Ask The Eye Doctor” Click Here To View
U.S. Congressman Peter King mentions Dr. Berke on “Meet The Press”
Better Eye Care is Our Mission
CALL US. Same Day Appointments are Available.